Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Okashi Noms Review: Caramel Corn

Noms... Who doesn't enjoy a snack!? Sometimes I enjoy them way too much! :) When my friend Maricely pitch me her idea of an all Japanese snack store, I was like "Why is this not happening!? Let's do it!" So we immediately started working on the idea. It was a long shot, but knowing that a lot of our friends share our LOVE for Japanese sweets and snacks, we couldn't go wrong. 

In the past, I only had  the common snacks like Pocky (who has never had one!?), Hello Panda, Yan Yan, Koala Biscuits and Ramune. Also, I had tried some more traditional snacks like the rice cakes, pastries and taiyaki (its a fish shaped cake filled with red bean paste most of the time). So yeah, I was missing out, A LOT! 

Thanks to this adventure called "Okashi Noms" I have being able to expand my knowledge on all things sweet, salty and savory that are Japanese snacks. Thanks Maricely for this amazing opportunity! We sure have fun!

I decided in 2012, that I was going to start blogging about the snacks that I try. Kinda like a Nom Diary! I have tried a LOT of new snacks since we opened Okashi Noms in 2012. Today I will start with one of my all times favorite, Caramel Corn.

Caramel Corn is a very light weight snack. It comes in a ridiculous amount of different flavors, some of them seasonal (why Japanese have to torture us with seasonal items is beyond my comprehension T__T). Some of the flavors that we have offered in our store are Mango, Vanilla and Almond, but we have tried Hot Cocoa and Maple.


~Vanilla and Almond Flavor Caramel Corn ~

They remind me a of cross between cheese curls and Corn Pops. People have asked us if they are made with shrimp because of the similar shape, but I assure you, there is NO shrimp! lol


~ I ate a lot of them before taking this picture so it looks kinda empty lol ~


The calories on most Japanese snacks is very low so they are pretty healthy. If you don't watch yourself, you can eat a whole bag of Caramel Corn in just one sit, but no worries cause you are not going to get fat by eating a bag of this babies! ^_^ 15 grams of Caramel Corns (about 5 pieces) contain around 80 calories, 5g of fat, no trans fat, no saturated fat, no cholesterol, 30 mg of sodium 10g of carbs and 5g of sugar. 


Each bag is pretty full. We are used to opening a bag of Doritos and half of the bag is air and the other half of Doritos (and a butt load of crumbs), but rest assure that you will not have that same experience with this snack. Though they are crunchy, they are easy to bite and rarely any crumbs at the bottom. The bag is made of aluminum, so well re-sealed they will last a while. Keep this in mind cause left opened they will get soggy pretty quick. 

I recommend this product 100%. The bag is pretty adorable and the flavors are incredible. They are not too sweet, so you will not get that sickening sweet feeling. The Vanilla flavored one taste like vanilla ice cream. The Almond one taste like roasted almonds and the Mango one is pretty sweet, but it doesn't have a strong mango flavor. All flavors are very natural.

The presentation is really eye catching and adorable. Their trade mark is the little face in the bag making it look like it's a character. Caramel Corn is a trade mark and a product of Tohato Japan.

Presentation: 5/5
Flavor: 5/5
Variety: 5/5

For more delicious snacks please visit us at:

http://www.facebook.com/okashinomspr





No comments:

Post a Comment