Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Making of Shadow Weaver - Cosplay

A while back, I started making a list of the cosplays that I wanted to make for 2011 and 2012. One of the first ones that popped in my head was Shadow Weaver from the SheRa / HeMan / MOTU series. I have a thing for evil sorceress (and evil female characters all together XD). I though Weaver would be a very easy project to start with to get me going and learn how to use my recently acquired sewing machine. 


It was very hard to get inspiration. Most of the females that have done her cosplay before me didn't do (for me) a very convincing job. Lots of them looked really cheap and last minute, so I decided I was gonna bust balls and make an awesome one. 


I started to work on Weaver back in July '11 making the belt and painting the mask. I made copies of Hordak's "bat" emblem from one of the toys armor. At first it was all made from a clay like material, but it was way too heavy so I made the wings out of wonderflex (a plastic like material). The mask that I used is a Snake Eye's (GI Joe) toy mask. I painted it black, covered it with a see-trough fabric, painted the eyes and then stitched on the veil.


The cloak was easy to make, but really hot and heavy! First off, I know shit about sewing so it was all trial and error, imagination and lots of calls to my mom (she knows a lot about sewing). At the end the dress and cape came out AWESOME!


I'm really proud of my Weaver. A lot of people recognized it and took pics of me! I won 4th place and The Most Original recognition at Kaisen 9 10/9/11. It took me less than a month to make it, but I stopped working on it on August and started working on it again on October.


Thanks to Eric, Frances, Yadely, Wally, Venus and my mother for all the help and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment